I have seen 1000’s of Account Plans. Some have been very good & some have been very bad.
I have seen Account Plans look like works of Shakespeare or written on the back of an envelope.
I believe Sales Professionals & Sales Managers can easily miss the purpose of an Account Plan.
Over investing or under investing in this activity is a risk so here’s the “must haves” I expect to be in an Account Plan:
🎯 Account Background:
• Describe your customer’s business and the value it creates for its customers
• History of your relationship and the overall business potential
🎯 Customer Needs/ Value Drivers:
• What does success look like for the customer?
• What are the customer’s main needs and priorities?
🎯 Account Strategy, Objectives & Targets:
• What are your goals with this customer – short & long term?
• How does your company support the customer’s business vision and strategy?
• What business targets do you want to achieve with this customer?
• What’s your positioning in relation to external factors and competitors?
🎯 Contact Strategy:
• Are the correct people identified in the customers business – decision makers & influencers?
• Who in your business could contribute and add value to your customer?
🎯 Tactical Action Plan:
• Is there a plan to achieve your goals with the customer?
• Are there actions over this next period that help you deliver the plan?
• How do these activities link to the customer’s needs?
🎯 Live Opportunities in the Pipeline:
• Do activities in the plan translate into opportunities in your sales pipeline?
If you ensure these 6 “must haves” are always in you Account Plans you will consistently add value to your clients business and your business.
To see more of what a good Account Plans looks like you can visit the Sales Execution section of my website and download the Free to Purchase Standard Tool Kit just click here.
If you enjoyed this article please click LIKE and click SHARE to share it with your network. Please also take time to read some of my other recent posts.
Steve Knapp is the Founder and Owner of Steve Knapp Sales & Corporate Director in the Association of Professional Sales. With 30+ years of B2B successful sales, sales management and sales leadership experience. Steve created The 5 Principles of Sales Excellence & has used this to drive sustained sales performance in one of the most successful companies in the world. To discuss your sales requirements contact Steve on [email protected]