A trio of lists focusing on Personal Development.
- One is all about excuses you may have heard why people don’t invest in their personal development.
- Two is all about what you can do to own your personal development.
- Three highlights the benefits to you of taking control of your personal development
5 Excuses From Sales Professionals Not Owning Personal Development
Ever hear yourself using these excuses?
🙉 Excuse 1 – Negative Self Talk
- This is probably the biggest barrier to personal growth for the majority of people
- “I’m not as good as her”, or “He is more of a natural at this than me”.
🙉 Excuse 2 – Lack of Support
- There’s no one around that even understands, let alone supports your desire for personal growth.
- “I want to do it but they wont give me the time”, or “If I ask I don’t think they will let me”
🙉 Excuse 3 – No Clear Goals
- Until you know what you want you can’t make a map of how to get there.
- “I’m just to busy with work to write down my personal goals”
🙉 Excuse 4 – Playing the Blame Game
- Until you take full and total responsibility your chances for personal growth success will be limited at best.
- “I would have done it if she hadn’t had done that”, or “Its only because of him that this didn’t happen”
🙉 Excuse 5 – I Know it Anyway
- This belief that our ego needs to always be right. Be better-than, more successful than
- “If they had done it my way”, or “If only they had listened to me”
Remember these are 💯% excuses and you 💯% own your personal development!
Ten quick tips that will help you build your self development plan:
💪🏽 Start Now
- It’s that simple start now and build on what you learn daily
💪🏽 Take Baby Steps
- Break your goals into smaller steps and keep the end result in mind
💪🏽 Learn From Others
- Find a mentor, read books and attend events
💪🏽 Love Change
- You can’t escape it and your plan needs to embrace change
💪🏽 Be Accountable
- Your responsible, nobody else. If you don’t bother there’s no fairy godmother
💪🏽 Recognise Your Value
- Don’t discount the value in getter better at what you currently do
💪🏽 Be Deliberate
- Make sure you really want to do it. Is your goal and intention aligned?
💪🏽 Stretch Yourself
- Find the middle ground. Goals that are easy or impossible don’t work
💪🏽 You’ve Got To Love It
- Don’t do things if you don’t like doing them. Your goals must match your values.
💪🏽 Be Resilient
- You will hit highs and lows so your development plan needs to be achievable and balanced.
Personal Development is About Investing in Yourself. It’s not about waiting for your company or employer to do it for you.
Here a Six core benefits to personal development:
👍🏽 Heightened Self Awareness
- You get to know who you really are, your values and what you truly believe.
👍🏽 A Clear Sense of Direction
- Decision making and prioritisation becomes a lot easier.
👍🏽 Improved Focus and Effectiveness
- Meeting deadlines and ignoring distractions becomes natural.
👍🏽 Exceptional Motivation
- When you know what your setting out to achieve its much easier to see the benefits of taking action.
👍🏽 Greater Resilience
- Personal development cant stop bad things happening but it will help you be able to deal with them.
👍🏽 More Fulfilling Relationships
- You are better able to see what relationships are worth investing in.
A differentiator between average and top performers is that a top performer owns their personal development.
If you enjoyed this post please click LIKE and click SHARE to share it with your network.
Please also take time to read some of my other recent posts.
Steve Knapp is the Founder and Owner of Steve Knapp Sales & Corporate Director in the Association of Professional Sales. With 30+ years of B2B successful sales, sales management and sales leadership experience. Steve created The 5 Principles of Sales Excellence & has used this to drive sustained sales performance in one of the most successful companies in the world. To discuss your sales requirements contact Steve on [email protected]